Today my son is having a reading assessment in anticipation of being tutored in reading this summer. According to his classroom teacher, he is reading on grade level, but his assessments do not reflect this and my personal observations point to a weakness in this area.
Listening from the other room, I can hear the reading specialist telling him it's OK to stand during the assessment, and my son responding that he might need his bumpy cushion (which he has refused to use in class for the last two years) to help him sit. I also hear him telling her that it is hard to stay seated with "what he has," referring to his ADHD.
My son and I have had quite a few heart-to-hearts over the last two weeks. He told me that he has told a couple good friends who he trusts about his ADHD. He also told me how many of the other children in the class are not nice to him because he is "not cool" and "not good in sports." He said the ones who like him like him because he is "nice."
I told him that if he has one or two good friends, that is all he or anyone needs. I said I will try to do a better job of inviting those kids over for "play dates." It's hard for me with these boys, because I am used to my daughter who is so even-keeled and never has conflicts with her friends and the boys seem to need constant intervention, which is exhausting.
I am reminded that I feel my son's soul chose me as a mother because I can help him understand his neuro-wiring and my knowledge as a speech-language pathologist and interest in neurobiology combined with my beliefs in spirituality/yoga/meditation can help him find strategies to help him find peace in the maelstrom of his mind and emotions. I can also be the advocate he needs in his educational life and the one who reminds him of the unique gifts he brings to the world. In return, he is shining a light on my nature and making me dig deeper in my journey toward equanimity and balance.

No comments:
Post a Comment